Monday, March 15, 2010

wheelchair research

I have noticed that before a big trip, bicyclists like to document all the items they are taking, from toothpaste to repair kit, and to post these lists online, often with photos. I know 4 bikers who have done this in the past couple of years, and I only know 5 long distance bikers! Actually the 5th person I don’t really know well, so perhaps he has too. I suppose it’s something related to the equipment, and the fact that everything you need must be there in a small bundle.

I didn’t feel that desire to list everything in my suitcase before our vacation, though I did print for myself a very long, regularly updated, TO DO list for all the stuff I had to do during the 2 weeks before we left town, and that included a packing list for myself – “Don’t forget the travel clock” – kind of stuff. I figure it will be helpful for me next time.

But I am reminded of these organized people, as I get myself organized for wheelchair shopping. Perhaps it’s the equipment aspect that does it to you? Bikers like to talk bikes, perhaps wheelers like to take wheels?

Wheelchair shopping is not unlike car shopping. There aren’t as many makes and models out there for chairs as there are for cars, but there are similarities in the process. There are sport chairs, chairs just for transporting someone (they can’t push themselves, can only be pushed by another), extra wide heavy duty chairs, less fancy chairs for occasional users who often can stand but not walk, and then there are chairs for people like me – ones made for someone to live in 18 hours a day, 7 days a week. My chair has to be strong, sturdy, solid, and also easy to push and preferably light weight. It has to have features to make it easy to get in and out of, and should have decent back support. And well, for me, it’s a good thing if it can be orange too!

Like shopping for a car, you don’t look at every car out there, at least most people don’t. You rule out ones too expensive, made in Germany, or 2 doors, whatever suits your lifestyle. And so with me, with the help of the representative from the distributor, Mobility Solutions, and the PT at Sharp Rehab, I really have 3 makes of chairs I’ve been looking at. I want to double check that with the rep, since now I’m leaning more towards titanium, which wasn’t clear at the last meeting, but I believe it’s still 3 companies.

So, one day last week, I spent the better part of one day and one evening researching chairs made by Quickie, Invacare and TiLite. I currently have a Quickie 2, my 3rd Quickie chair. First you look at their websites, to see what models they have. It’s rather frustrating actually, because it’s really hard to figure out exactly what the differences between some of the models are from their own websites. And there’s no Consumer Reports article to help you with this! Reading individual’s reviews doesn’t help much either. In the end I printed out the order sheets for several chairs, usually the 2 top choices for me at each company, to compare them. I’ve pretty much ruled out Invacare. Their chairs are so similar to Quickie, that I’d rather get a Quickie again. That way, my old chairs can be spare parts. So, at the moment I’m considering TiLite for a titanium chair, and Quickie for an aluminum one.

I still don’t know if there are significant differences between the Quickie 2 and the Quickie 2 Lite in the frame, or the Tilite 2GX and TiLite SX in the frame, but I do have a much better idea of the differences in options and measurements now! Again , that’s another question for the rep from Mobility Solutions.

So, here are the features I need:
Folding frame
Swing away, removable foot rests
Spoke wheels for lighter weight
Quick release wheels
Brakes – a style NOT like what I have because I get too many bruises
Adjustable seat angle, center of balance, but I do not need adjustable back angle
Push rims
Pneumatic tires
5” front wheels
Removable desk style arms
Flat arm rests
Standard upholstery back
The ability to hold a Jay 2 seat cushion with Velcro, or any after market cushion
The ability to attach foot holders if foot rests aren’t secure enough
And I’d really like to reduce the weight!

Questions for the rep, who I am waiting for a call back from:

1. What is the benefit of titanium other than less weight? How much weight does it really drop? What is extra cost?
2. Any other brands worth a perusal besides Quickie, Invacare and TiLite, especially since I’m now considering titanium?
3. Difference between Quickie 2 and Quickie 2 Lite, are frames the same
4. Difference between TiLite 2GX and SX, are frames the same
5. TiLite has a single piece frame, is this a real advantage?
6. What are Natural Fit Rims, and Flex Rims? Do people really like them? Will they reduce strain on my wrists? Can I try them out?
7. Do SPOX or SPOX LT reduce weight or are they just a design thing?
8. TiLite has a folding angle-adjustable seat back, I don’t need the angle adjusting, but in what way does it fold, is this useful?
9. Can Frog Legs be added later if I feel I need shock absorbers? Past experience is that insurance won’t cover these anyway, still true?
10. Anthem Blue Cross supposedly pays 100% of my DME (Durable Medical Equipment) – are they likely to pay it all, or only up to XXX – what they think is reasonable. For example they might pay for an aluminum chair, but not a titanium chair? What if I’m willing to pay the difference, is that a problem for the insurance company, will they deny paying anything? I’m having wrist trouble, and I’m sure my docs would advocate for a lightweight chair, would that make a difference? Can I order a chair first, then use it for pressure mapping to pick the best cushion later – or does all this have to be ordered together?

Questions I need to answer for myself:
1. How much extra am I willing to pay? Or perhaps stated, how much is dropping just a few pounds worth?
2. Do I really need anti-tips and frog legs? I rarely use the anti-tips, and the frog legs make their presence most known when they are annoying me, I have no sense of their benefit anymore. They add weight.
3. Do I want to be sure the chair is strong enough for adding on power assist wheels down the road? That might limit models I can choose, or be an extra expense for a reinforced frame not to mention more weight. I don’t need power assist now, but might I in 3 – 5 years?
4. Titanium? YES OR NO

Features I would like to see in person:
• Rear wheel spokes – SPOX and SPOX LT, including colors
• Handrims – Natural Fit and FlexRims
• On the TiLite chair only –
o The folding seat back of the 2G
o How the quick release wheels work, esp in titanium
o What are short tabs?
o Type of brakes – scissor and unilock
o Colors of frame, upholstery
o How the arm rests are attached
o How the seat snaps into place
o Swing away foot rests
• On the Quickie only –
o Type of brakes – scissor and compact
o Colors of frame
o New foot rests
o Are arm rests, and quick release wheels the same as 5 years ago?

The next thing is for me to talk to the rep, get some of my answers, either expand my list of chairs to look at or reduce them. Perhaps he can talk to my insurance company and see how they will work, get preauthorization.

April 9-11 is something called the Abilities Expo, up in LA. This group puts on several conventions around the country each year, where they have vendors, workshops, and exhibitions on everything related to disability. Reps from all chair manufacturers will be there, companies who make adapted cars, clothing makers, gadgets, home remodelers…. There will be dance performances and talks by people who arrange travel. I’ve only been once before, perhaps 20 years ago, but I think I’d like to go this year. My main objective is to get a good look at the wheelchairs, both at the vendors’ booths and ones that other attendees are using. Who knows, maybe I’ll find something else new there too! But, I’ll be happy with getting to the point where I know what wheelchair I want to get next.

Every 5 – 6 years I go through this process of buying a new chair, which at this point feels like not a moment too soon. My chair is creaking and getting harder to push. I know one person whose insurance only lets her fix things, so she has a really old frame with parts of all different ages. I know another whose son needs both a power chair and a manual one, but insurance only pays for one. So they buy the manual chair out of pocket when a new one is needed. I’m lucky that so far I only had to pay for one chair out of pocket.

I remember them all! Back in the 70s the industry leader was Everest & Jennings. I believe they are still around, but not what users like me need now. These are the chrome style you see around airports and hospitals, heavy and rather ugly. My first chair was an E&J, but I could pick the upholstery. I picked a dark olive green/brown mottled naugahyde, which I remember my mother just hating. That chair lasted barely 4 years. While I was at college in New England, the snow got inside the frame and rusted it out, to the point where it surprised me one trip home when it wouldn’t fold anymore. Its replacement was also an E&J, with black upholstery. In those days, you had to regularly oil the frame, and bearings in the wheels, and what college kid is going to do that?

In the early 80s a new style of chair started coming out, like the style I have now. Chairs have not changed all that much in 30 years. Two big companies then were Quickie and Quadra. I got a blue Quadra. Blue, though it is definitely NOT my color, because I was in grad school and trying to look professional. Very serious, dressed in navy. The blue didn’t work out, and the Quadra wasn’t my favorite chair either, though I’ve long since forgotten what its faults were. But Quadra died anyway, and Quickie emerged as the industry leader – and I’ve had 3 Quickies – a fixed frame red one that was great when I had a van, but rotten for travel because it didn’t fold. Then a green one that I still have as a spare, almost identical to the orange one I have now. I have enjoyed my Quickies, and wouldn’t be too upset if I ended up with one again, but perhaps I can get something lighter, even more sporty? Might it be time to trade in the Honda Accord for a Subaru Outback? In a way, getting a new chair is kind of fun and exciting! Though I wouldn’t mind if the process took a little less time, come on Mobility Solutions man, call me back!

No comments:

Post a Comment