Wednesday, May 5, 2010

a few updates

I’m feeling a bit lazy today, so instead of some well thought out (hah!) commentary on some engaging topic, I’ll just put in a few updates on old topics, ones that people have been asking me about.

My wrist is doing quite well these days. I had come to the conclusion that surgery was imminent, but in the month or so it took me to get the second opinion and then see the surgeon I liked best, my wrist is really doing much better. It still pains me (forgive the language, I’ve been watching a lot of Upstairs Downstairs DVDs as I do my stretches lately) from time to time. Moving my wrist too far back or forward is a bad idea, but overall I can forget I have a problem most of the time. I am wearing an anti-inflammatory topical patch over it during the day, and will keep doing so till the pain is totally gone.

Status of the wheelchair order – Today the letter of medical necessity was sent to the doctor for his signature. There was a little confusion first, when one of the staff of the medical supply store wanted me to sign a letter saying that I would authorize a purchase of up to $5000 for a chair (she assumed my chair couldn’t cost more) since that is my plan’s annual limit for durable medical supplies. This woman had called and left a message. When I called back she had already gotten new instructions from the rep I had worked with. But I also had to tell her that I had already used some part of that $5000 for urological supplies, and that I wanted to see what insurance would pay for first, because if they do not agree to pay for the fancy wheels I want, I’m going to buy them elsewhere. So, she understands now, that the plan is to get the doctor’s signature, then get insurance approval, then run it all by me again, THEN order the chair – and the order may change between now and then. I hope I hear from her early next week that she’s got what she needs from my doctor, or I’m going to camp out in his office and wait for him with letter and pen in hand! I’m going to try to oversee each step of the process, but chances are something will go wrong anyway. I feel a bit overbearing, and I’m sure I am slightly insulting looking like I don’t trust others to be competent, but then I remind myself that I’m the only one who really cares that this goes through the way I want it to.

And something ironic happened today too. I’ve been thinking that the Humane Society is not the place for me to volunteer, and maybe I should look elsewhere. So, what happens? The woman who heads the department emailed me today, asking if I might consider going in one day every week. I had to laugh. I thought they had regulars there, but wasn’t totally sure. I suppose they don’t ask you to be a regular unless they know you better, and perhaps when they have more work to do. Still, I can’t help but find it amusing that her invitation was right as I was having doubts about being there. For now, I’ll tell her I need to think about it, and I’ll get back to her next week. Perhaps it isn’t such a bad fit after all, if they are asking me. Though, I suppose they could be asking all volunteers to come more often, I don’t know.

The 12-year-old neighborhood girl and I have giving Jasper his medicine down to a science now! Jim has been away again this week, and so I’ve needed help to give Jasper his pill. She’s confident, calm, quiet and gentle, and Jasper no longer runs from her. Even Fforde came out of the closet today to meet her. From the time she comes through the door to the time the pill is down Jasper’s throat is about 2 minutes! Of course, she hangs around long enough to give all the cats treats, and so I hope they all think of her as the Treats Lady. Still, she’s in and out in 5 minutes, and I think I have my regular helper for a long time to come. The first few weeks, while Jasper was getting used to the idea of medicine, and Jim and I were getting used to it too – we needed someone more comfortable with the idea than we were. So, 1 hour of our catsitter’s time (including travel time) and $20 of our money per day was needed when he was out of town. Now, it’s such a relief to have neighbors who can assist me in 5 minutes. Another next-door neighbor has also helped me with Jasper when the young lady was not available. And Jasper is doing so well, that on Friday he goes down to 1 pill every 2 days! Woohoo!

Writing is helping me sleep better. I’ve always had trouble getting to sleep, at least since my grad school days. On days that I don’t write in my blog, I find myself ruminating on what I might write the next day. On days I do write, I might still find it hard to get to sleep, but it’ll be quicker. My conclusion? Something good is happening for me, not sure what, but this project is good for my mental health for now. So, I might not write every day, but I will try to write most days. I’ll almost certainly skip tomorrow, I have a dreadfully busy day ahead of me, not all business, but very full.

No comments:

Post a Comment