Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Beginning

What is it they say - that the first sentence of a book should hook the reader? OK, well, I'm not writing a book. But I would like to know if anyone finds my writing interesting. I like to write, mostly letters and personal essays. Might I write something others would like to read? Let me know as time goes on, ok?

Paraplegia 101. I hesitated with this title, because I hate to think my disability defines me. But it is a huge part of my life. And more importantly, it's the first lens others see me through. Just this week, a woman I met at the county health and human services office, (I was there getting the H1N1 shot) said that she thought our kids had gone to school together. Well, we talked, and it seems that yes, they probably did go to the same school. Weren't in the same class, mind you, but she had seen me on campus and remembered me. I hadn't a clue who she was! And my kids are now 23 and 25 years old. What she remembered was me from almost 20 years ago. My 23 year old left that school when he was 4.

I should be flattered that I obviously look the same at 52 as I did at 32. But I know it isn't that simple. I weigh 40 pounds more as a start. And believe me, I know there are other changes! Granted, my hair color is the same, thanks to chemistry and my foresight of saving a ponytail I had lopped off long ago, when I gave up long hair for short. (a procedure I recommend to all women, saving the hair I mean, not keeping it short)

No, my wheelchair makes me more memorable. It is a huge part of how others see me. And, like it or not, my paraplegia is a huge part of who I am and what I do.

But, having said that, being a paraplegic is not all I am. So, I am of 2 minds - on one hand I do want people to know what the hassles are of a disability (I am putting this mildly for those who have disabilities, I know, I know) and on the other hand I plan to talk about non-disability things that interest me. So, yes I will talk about accessibility and wheelchairs. But also - there was an amazing sunset today, not a common sight in San Diego, and yet we have had 2 last week. 2 of my cats are headed for surgery next week, and reacting to the antibiotic they need to take ahead of surgery by being rather aggressive to each other. So, at this moment I can't say exactly what I'll write, but hopefully those little things that show our humanity, and altogether our commonality, despite my disability.

And today? It's a beginning. Hello.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Glad you're blogging! Welcome to the blog-o-sphere! Can't wait to read what you have in store for us.

    ReplyDelete