Thursday, January 28, 2010

buying a new wheelchair

December 29, 2009, Step 1

On that date, I stopped by my physiatrist's office to ask for a referral to the PT dept for a wheelchair evaluation. I was over at Sharp Rehab that day to get my weight. I could have called the office for this referral, for it was something his office assistant would handle, no need for an appointment - not yet, but I was there anyway. The reason I go to Sharp for my weight - it's hard to be weighed on most scales when you can't stand. At Sharp they have a platform scale, large enough for a wheelchair to sit on. So, if you know the weight of your chair empty, you can take the weight with you in the chair and subtract the empty chair. I weighed in at 169 pounds, time to count calories and lose weight, again.

About 2 years ago, I was part of a weight management class for women with disabilities. I tried counting calories and watching carb consumption and dropped from 172 pounds to 155. I knew I had gained weight back, but so much? It was almost the new year, so I gave myself a new year's resolution. Which I will admit that today, Jan 28, 2010, I haven't really done yet. But I might still.

So on Dec 29, I made an appointment to see my physiatrist, and asked for the PT referral. The PT department called me back around a week later and I made that appointment for Tuesday Jan 26, almost a month later.

Tuesday Jan 12 step 2

Met with my physiatrist - a general checkup of sorts. Mostly talked about my disability related health issues - vertigo and wrist problems, irritable bowel and diverticulosis. I hadn't seen him in 2 years, and typically see him when I have some health issue that is so clearly related to my disability, AND is something my internist cannot handle, which really isn't much. The last time I was there? I think I was shopping for a new cushion. This time, a new chair.

It isn't that I don't like my physiatrist, it's just that I really wish I could handle everything from sore throats to pressure sores with one doctor and my internist is better able to handle disability issues as well as general ones, whereas my physiatrist is much more just a disability doc. So, I see them both, but one a little more frequently than the other.

My appointment that day was more for form's sake than a really helpful appointment. In the end he'll be the one that writes the prescription for the new wheelchair, so it is appropriate for him to see me at this time. I don't mind going really.

January 26, Step 3

Wheelchair Clinic at Sharp Rehab, with a PT and a rep from Mobility Solutions, a seller of wheelchairs.

This was a useful appointment, the rep had a lot of information for me. My current wheelchair is a Quickie 2, the workhorse of the Quickie brand, and it seems to be the standard in the folding chairs for active people. My chair is 6 years old, and what they sell now isn't much different, because it's a good solid product. 2 other companies make similar chairs - Invacare makes the ProSpin, and TiLite makes the aero-x.

So, now, I need to do my own research - evaluate the 3 brands, figure out the subtle differences. All 3 chairs can be make to my measurements, have removable foot pedals and arms. I can reduce the weight by getting a lighter design of arm, by getting spoke wheels instead of mag wheels, and getting rid of the frog's legs. I'll have to think about that one. But cutting off 4 pounds would be really nice. I'll change the brakes so I get fewer bruises when I transfer, and probably get a new cushion.

The rep also told me that if I move the wheels forward even 1/2 or a full inch, it would reduce the strain on my shoulders and wrists pushing. That would be so nice.

But none of these chairs really has a good solution for the back of my chair. I want a folding rigid back! It doesn't exist. I want something rigid to help my posture, and reduce my vertigo. But something that folds like a regular upholstery back, or that is easy to pull off, without hurting my wrist. I was told there are some after market back solutions, so I guess I'm not the only one with this problem.

Anyway, I have to do more research. Perhaps I'll get to it before our vacation, perhaps not.

Then the next step, is to pick which chairs interest me, and which cushions I might like, and ask the rep to show them to me. We'll have to do the measurements, and there's a pressure mapping machine at Sharp PT to help figure out which cushion is the best choice, which will give the most even pressure on my bottom, and ischials. It'll probably happen towards the end of March.

Anyone with experience with the Invacare or TiLite chairs?

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you should invent that rigid folding back you're looking for! You could be rich and famous! I sense a calling...

    ReplyDelete